Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Best Mixing Tip I Ever Got

When I started out with recording and mixing, I felt like a lost puppy. I had no idea what was going on. My professors in college would show me things like EQ and compression and I would just stare into space feeling massively confused. I felt like there were so many rules and so many technical know-hows that I would never learn how to be a good audio engineer. Then I heard the best tip I've ever gotten for mixing.

Don’t be afraid to try things.

I heard this advice while listening to a podcast from Joe Gilder and Graham Cochrane called “Simply Recording Podcast.”




It’s an amazing podcast. In fact, you should go listen to it. Like right now. It’s cool, I’ll wait…

Okay, back? Great!

They talked about trusting your ears and trying things in the mixing process that you think sounds good. They talked about the subjectivity of music and how even something technical like audio engineering could be art if we approached it that way. So I got brave and started trying things.

I didn’t know how to use EQ properly, but so what? I just popped it on a track and started pulling nodes every which way seeing what it did to the sound. Over time, guess what happened? I learned how to use EQ and get the sound I wanted out of a track. Same thing with compression. I started using it and experimenting just to see what it would do.

The point is, I wasn’t afraid to try things. And through the process of trying I was able to learn immensely more than I was just reading about them. Yes, read about engineering. Yes, listen to podcasts. But most importantly, put it into action! Knowledge without action is useless.


So I want to encourage you not to be afraid to make mistakes and just go try things. You may have no idea how to EQ a drum set or how to compress a vocal. So what? Neither did anyone else when they started. Over time you will learn and you will be on your way to being a better audio engineer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Recording Room. Powered by Blogger.