Friday, February 7, 2014

The Secret to Becoming a Better Mixing Engineer

If you are a mixing engineer, you probably want to be better.  I mean, who doesn't? We all want to get better at our craft. I think the moment we believe we have "arrived" is the day we've lost put a ceiling on our potential. But how do you get better? Do you just keep researching mixing? Do you keep watching tutorial videos and listening Dave Pensado? Do you keep posting our Gearslutz and other communities talking about mixing?

While those are all great tools, they in and of themselves will not make you a better mix engineer.


What will make you a better mix engineer is mixing




The number one way you will get better at your craft is by doing it. This seems so obvious but it's surprising how often we miss it. We easily get caught up learning and not implementing. We get caught up marketing our business and not growing our skills. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't continue to watch videos and learn. There are some amazing tutorials and training tools out there that will help you go a long way with your skills, but all of these are tools that must be implemented to have an effect. This means if you watch a video on mixing and you learn something new, go try it out! Learn it. By doing this over and over you will get better. 


I want to start a mixing challenge for you and myself. I want you to mix a song, every day, for the next 31 days. Let's call this the Monthly Mix Challenge. Just imagine how much better you will get when in a month, you can look back and see that you've mixed 31 songs. This is a challenge I want to provide to you and myself. I'm going to keep myself in check and mix a song every day for 31 days in a row. I promise if you do this, you will get better. 

If you don't know where to get songs to mix, here is a website for you to do just that. 


You can even select by genre and focus on particular styles of music. So what are you waiting for? Let's get mixing! 


The Recording Room. Powered by Blogger.